April 16, 2018
Public Affairs Section
U.S. Embassy Mongolia
Call for Applications: PAS-Ulaanbaatar-010/FY2018
The 2019-2021 Fulbright Student Fellowships Funded by the Government of Mongolia
The public affairs section of the U.S. Embassy in Mongolia is now accepting applications for the 2019-2021 Fulbright Student Fellowship Program funded by the Government of Mongolia (GOM). The application deadline is 12:00 p.m. (noon) on Monday, June 18, 2018. This program will fund full scholarships for master’s studies at U.S. universities.
The GOM-funded Fulbright scholarship program will give priority to candidates who plan to pursue studies in the following fields:
- Engineering Infrastructure
- Agricultural Engineering
- Environmental Studies
- Information Technology
- Public Health
- Public Policy
- Science and Technology
Fulbright student fellows are selected by the U.S. Embassy’s public affairs section and the Government of Mongolia. Applicants will be assessed on the contribution that their study would make to Mongolia’s development and greater understanding between the United States and Mongolia, as well as the likelihood of the applicant performing successfully in a U.S. academic setting.
If selected for the GOM-funded Fulbright scholarship program, students will be asked to provide collateral in the form of real estate, excluding land. For more information about the collateral requirement, please refer to the rules for the Mongolian Education Loan Fund and the Ministry of Education, Culture, Science, and Sports at http://www.mecss.gov.mn/director-content-485-318.mw.
If selected, the final university placement decision will be made by the Fulbright Office and the Government of Mongolia.
To qualify, applicants must:
- Be a Mongolian citizen, currently living in Mongolia;
- Hold a university degree (at least a B.A. or equivalent);
- Have a minimum of 1.5 years of full-time work experience;
- Hold a valid English test score (test score requirements vary depending on the field of study, please see below).
Candidates who apply to pursue studies in the following fields are required to have a minimum of TOEFL IBT 90, TOEFL PBT/ITP 575, or IELTS 7.00:
- Arts Administration/Management
- Art History
- Gender and Women’s Studies
- International Relations/Development
- Public Policy/Administration
- Political Science
- Theatre/Drama/Creative Writing
- Urban/Regional Planning
- Veterinary Medicine
Candidates pursuing studies in fields other than named above should have a minimum of TOEFL IBT 80, TOEFL PBT/ITP 550, or IELTS 6.5.
Applicants who have not yet taken an English test should do so as soon as possible and submit a copy of the TOEFL or IELTS score report along with their application. Applications without a valid English test score will be considered ineligible.
Incomplete application packages will be considered technically ineligible. Applicants should submit supplemental documents as requested. Applicants should not submit original documents, as application packages will not be returned.
A complete application package will include:
- Complete application form;
*Attach a passport sized photo (3×4) taken within the last six months.
**Please note that an application without a signed Acknowledgement of Collateral Requirement will not be considered for the next round.
- References: Letters of recommendation from two individuals who can attest to the applicant’s academic and professional abilities;
*Recommendation letters must be in English or submitted as an English translation by an authorized translation service along with the original letter in Mongolian.
**E-mailed references will not be accepted. Reference providers overseas may e-mail their references to applicants directly as a .pdf file bearing the provider’s signature and full contact information, including title, work place, phone numbers, and e-mail address.
- Essay: 1 to 2 page essay in English that addresses:
- Why the applicant wishes to study in the United States; and
- What the applicant would like to do after completing study.
- Notarized copy of university diploma/s and original copy of transcript/s;
*Diploma appendices will not be accepted. Transcripts must be issued by the school administration.
**Transcripts must be in English or submitted as an English translation by an authorized translation service along with the original transcript in Mongolian.
- A notarized copy of Social Insurance Book or original copy of TUTs machine reference indicating employment period of 1.5 years or more (only in Mongolian); and
- A notarized copy of TOEFL IBT, TOEFL ITP, or IELTS official score report.
Things to note when completing the application form:
- Answer all questions. Print N/A for questions that do not apply.
- Answer all questions truthfully. The essay must be the applicant’s own work reflecting original thought. Any use of other people’s work or ideas must be properly cited and acknowledged. False information or plagiarism will be grounds for immediate disqualification of the applicant.
- Submit only the documents requested.
- Do not staple any part of the application or supplemental documents.
- The application and essay must be typed. Hand-written applications will be disqualified.
Preference will be given to candidates who have not had extensive recent experience in the United States. Extensive U.S. experience includes:
Individuals with recent U.S. experience (more than six months within the last five years)
Individuals who have attended a U.S. graduate school for one academic year or more during the last seven years
Note that individuals with U.S permanent resident status are ineligible to apply.
All U.S. government scholarship programs adhere to the equal opportunity principle. Any individuals who fulfill the program criteria are welcome to apply regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, disability, race, age, or political or religious belief.
Interviews will take place in early July 2018. Applicants must attend the interview in person.
Complete application packages must be delivered or mailed to the U.S. Embassy’s public affairs section by 12:00 p.m. (noon) on Monday, June 18, 2018. Mailed application packages received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Street Address: Mailing Address:
U.S. Embassy АНУ-ын Элчин сайдын яамны
Denver Street #3, 11th Micro-district Олон нийттэй харилцах албанд
Ulaanbaatar 14190, Mongolia Монгол Улс, Улаанбаатар 14192, Ш/Х – 341