April 6, 2018
Public Affairs Section
U.S. Embassy Mongolia
Call for Applications: PAS-Ulaanbaatar-011/FY2018
The 2019-2020 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Ulaanbaatar is now accepting applications for the 2019-2020 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program. The Humphrey Fellowship is a Fulbright program that brings accomplished young and mid-career professionals with demonstrated leadership potential to the United States for a year of non-degree graduate-level study, leadership development, and substantive professional collaboration with U.S. counterparts.
Applicants can submit applications in two categories as Regular Humphrey program or Long Term English (LTE) required program. LTE required candidates shall meet all requirements set by the program, but are allowed to have a lower English language test score. Selected LTE grantee is required to attend an academic English language training prior to the start of the academic program in the U.S.
Humphrey Fellowship supports study in sustainable development, democratic institution building, education, and public health. Visit www.humphreyfellowship.org to learn about program supported fields.
To qualify, applicants must:
- Be a Mongolian citizen, currently living in Mongolia;
- Hold a university degree (at least B.A. or equivalent);
- Have a minimum of five years of continuous and full-time professional experience in Mongolia (prior to August 2019);
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and a record of public service; and
- Have a valid English language test score of:
- TOEFL IBT 71, TOEFL ITP/PBT 525 or comparable IELTS (Regular Humphrey);
- TOEFL IBT 52-70, TOEFL ITP/PBT 470-525 or comparable IELTS (Long Term English required Humphrey).
Note: The application package must be complete, otherwise it will be considered technically ineligible. Please carefully read your application form and submit supplemental documents as requested.
A complete application will include:
- Complete Application Form;
*Attach a passport sized photo (3×4) taken in the last six months.
- References: Letters of recommendation from two professionals who can attest to your academic and professional abilities;
*Recommendation letters must be in English or provide English translation by an authorized translation service along with the original letter in Mongolian.
**Reference letters should have the full name, title and contact information of the reference provider and should be signed by the reference provider. The letters should not be emailed or mailed to the embassy separately.
- Essay: 1-2 page long essay in English that addresses:
- Why you wish to study in the United States, and
- What you would like to do after completing the study.
- A notarized copy of Diploma/s and original copy of Transcript/s;
*Diploma/s and transcript/s must be in English or provide English translation/s by an authorized translation service along with the original/s in Mongolian.
**Transcript/s must be issued by the school administration on an official letterhead. Diploma appendices will not be accepted.
- Letter of Employment indicating employment of minimum of five years of continuous and full-time professional experience in Mongolia (prior to August 2019);
- A notarized copy of a valid English language test report.
Things to note when completing the application form:
- Answer all questions of the application. Print N/A for questions that do not apply.
- Note that answers to all questions must be true. The application essay must be your own work reflecting your original thought. Any use of other people’s work/idea(s) must be properly cited and acknowledged. Any false information and/or plagiarism will be grounds for immediate disqualification of your application.
- Do not submit any other additional documents other than those requested in this application.
- Do not staple any part of your application or other supplemental documents.
- Applications and essays must be typed. Hand-written applications will be disqualified.
Incomplete application packages will be considered technically ineligible.
Do not submit original documents. Application packages will not be returned.
Preference will be given to candidates who have not had extensive recent experience in the United States.
All U.S. Government scholarship programs adhere to equal opportunity principles. Any individual who fulfills the program criteria is welcome to apply regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, race, age, and/or political or religious belief.
- Recent university graduates;
- University teachers or academic researchers with no management responsibilities (except in the fields of Substance Abuse Education, Prevention, and Treatment and Teaching of English as a Foreign Language);
- Individuals who have attended a graduate school in the U.S. for one academic year or more during the seven years prior to August 2019;
- Individuals with U.S. in-country experience of any kind lasting more than six months during the five years prior to August 2019.
- Individuals with U.S. permanent resident status, since they are ineligible for a J visa.
Interviews will take place in late June 2018. Applicants must attend the interview in person. The Public Affairs Section will select three to six Mongolian candidates for the 2019-2020 Humphrey Fellowship competition. These individuals will compete in a worldwide competition for the final selection for the Humphrey Fellowship.
Complete application packages must be submitted to Public Affairs Section by 12:00 p.m. (noon) on Monday, May 7, 2018 at the latest:
|Street Address:||Mailing Address:|
Denver Street #3, 11th Micro-district
Ulaanbaatar 14190, Mongolia
|Монгол Улс, Улаанбаатар 14192, Ш/Х – 341
АНУ-ын Элчин сайдын яамны
Олон нийттэй харилцах албанд
Please note, mailed application packages received after the deadline will not be accepted.