November 16, 2018
Public Affairs Section
U.S. Embassy Mongolia
Call for Applications: PAS-Ulaanbaatar-003/FY2019
The Summer 2019 Study of the U.S Institutes for Scholars and Secondary School Educators
The Embassy of the United States is pleased to announce the summer 2019 Study of the U.S Institutes (SUSI) for Scholars and Secondary School Educators programs. SUSIs are intensive post-graduate level academic programs with integrated study tours whose purpose is to provide foreign university faculty, other scholars, and secondary school educators the opportunity to deepen their understanding of American society, culture, and institutions. The main goal of the program is to strengthen curricula and to improve the quality of teaching about the United States in academic and secondary education institutions abroad.
The programs will take place at various colleges and institutions throughout the United States over the course of 5-6 weeks beginning in June 2019. The U.S. Department of State will cover all participant costs, including international, domestic, and ground transportations, books, cultural, housing and subsistence, mailing, and incidental allowances. Interested applicants are encouraged to visit our website for general information on the program.
The Embassy is accepting applications for the following eight programs:
- American Culture and Values
- American Politics and Political Thought
- Contemporary American Literature
- Journalism and Media
- Religious Freedom and Pluralism
- S. Foreign Policy
- Youth, Workforce Development, and Closing the Skills Gap
- Secondary School Educators (applicants for this program may include secondary school teachers, teacher trainers, curriculum developers, textbook writers, ministry of education officials, or other related professional with responsibility for secondary education. )
- Study of the U.S. Institutes for Scholars are highly competitive. Priority will be given to candidates who have firm plans to enhance, update or develop courses and/or educational materials with a U.S. studies focus or component; who have no prior or limited experience in the United States; and who have special interest in the program subject areas as demonstrated through past scholarship, accomplishments, and professional duties.
- Candidates should be Mongolian citizens currently living in Mongolia, mid-career, typically between ages of 30-50, highly-motivated and experienced professionals from institutions of higher education or research focused organizations (not-for-profits, think tanks, etc.) and secondary school educators (including teachers, administrators, teacher trainers, curriculum developers, textbook writers, ministry of education officials, and others).
- The candidates should have graduate degree and have substantial knowledge of the thematic area of the institute or a related field.
- Candidates should be willing and able to fully take part in an intensive post-graduate level academic program and study tour. As such, the candidates should have high English proficiency and should be able to be flexible with campus life and an active program schedule.
- English language requirement:Candidates mustdemonstrate English language fluency. Institutes are rigorous and demanding programs; participants will be expected to handle substantial reading assignments in English and to fully and actively participate in all seminar and panel discussions.
- Ideal candidates are individuals whose home institution is seeking to introduce aspects of U.S. studies into its curricula, to develop new courses in the subject of the Institute, to enhance and update existing courses on the United States, or to offer specialized seminars/workshops for professionals in U.S. studies areas related to the program theme. While the nominee’s scholarly and professional credentials are an important consideration, the potential impact and multiplier effect of the Institute is equally important. Ideal candidates will have little or no prior experience in the United States.
How to Apply:
The application deadline is Monday, December 17, 2018 8:30 a.m. To apply, please submit the application form to email@example.com.
Please direct all inquiries to the Embassy’s Facebook page or to firstname.lastname@example.org.