Event: Regional Health Alert – Coronavirus
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that travelers avoid all travel to Wuhan, People’s Republic of China, and all nonessential travel to China in general, due to an ongoing outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel coronavirus, which can be spread from person to person.
Currently, there are no confirmed cases of coronavirus in Mongolia. As a precautionary measure, effective January 27 to March 2, the Government of Mongolia has closed public and private schools and universities at all levels, suspended all public gatherings, including large meetings and sporting events, and closed or restricted access by minors to venues such as computer gaming centers, youth recreation centers, and cinemas. In addition, authorities are restricting vehicular passenger traffic between Mongolia and China. Air and rail links between Mongolia and China have not been affected and largely remain open.
Actions to Take:
- Do not travel to Hubei province, China, and reconsider all travel to China due to a novel coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, China.
- If you must travel to the People’s Republic of China, review our Travel Advisory at state.gov.
- Monitor Mongolian media for updates on further precautionary measures that may affect schools and other public facilities.
- For information on the novel coronavirus, consult the CDC website or call the CDC at +1 (404) 639-3534.
- If you have traveled to Wuhan and feel sick or have been exposed to someone who was in Wuhan in the last six weeks who has fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, seek medical care right away. Before you go to a doctor’s office or emergency room, call ahead and tell them about your recent travel and your symptoms.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
U.S. Embassy Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
State Department – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
Mongolia Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter