January 28, 2019
Public Affairs Section
U.S. Embassy Mongolia
Call for Applications: PAS-Ulaanbaatar-009/FY2019
The 2020-21 Fulbright Student Program Funded by the U.S. Department of State
The Public Affairs Section of U.S. Embassy Ulaanbaatar is now accepting applications for the 2020-21 Fulbright (Foreign) Student Program. The application deadline is 12:00 p.m. (noon) on Monday, March 25, 2019. The Fulbright Student Program enables graduate students, young professionals, and artists from Mongolia to pursue graduate study degrees and conduct research in the United States. The Fulbright Program operates in more than 160 countries worldwide and approximately 8,000 grants are awarded annually.
To qualify, applicants must:
- Be a Mongolian citizen, currently living in Mongolia;
- Hold a university degree (at least B.A. or equivalent);
- Have a minimum of 1.5 years of full-time work experience; and
- Hold a valid English test score (test score requirements vary depending on the field of study, please see below).
Candidates who are applying to pursue studies in the following fields are required to have a minimum of TOEFL IBT 90, TOEFL PBT/IPT 575, or IELTS 7.00:
- Arts Administration/Management
- Art History
- Business/Economics (MBA)
- Gender and Women’s Studies
- International Development
- International Relations
- Public Administration
- Public Policy
- Political Science
- Urban/Regional Planning
- Veterinary Medicine
Candidates pursuing studies in fields other than named above should have a minimum of TOEFL IBT 80, TOEFL PBT/IPT 550, or IELTS 6.5.
A complete application will include:
- Complete [Application Form] (.pdf 60KB);
*Attach a passport sized photo (3×4) taken in the last six months
- References: Letters of recommendation from two individuals who can attest to your academic and professional abilities;
*Recommendation letters must be in English or provide English translation by an authorized translation service along with the original letter in Mongolian.
*E-mailed references will not be accepted. Reference provider overseas may e-mail his/her reference to applicant as a .pdf file. The .pdf file should bear the reference provider’s signature and full contact information including title, work place, phone numbers, and e-mail address.
- Essay: 1-2 pages long essay in English that addresses:
- Why you wish to study in the United States; and
- What you would like to do after completing the study.
- Certified copies of Diploma and Transcript of all university diplomas and transcripts;
*Diploma appendixes will not be accepted. Transcript must be issued by the school administration.
*Transcript must be in English or provide English translation by an authorized translation service along with the original transcript in Mongolian.
- A certified copy of Social Insurance Book indicating employment period of 1.5 years or more (only in Mongolian); and
- A certified copy of IBT, TOEFL or IELTS official score report.
Things to note for your application:
- Answer all questions. Put N/A for questions that do not apply.
- Answer all questions truthfully. The essay must be your own work reflecting original thought. Any use of other people’s work or ideas must be properly cited and acknowledged. False information or plagiarism will be grounds for immediate dismissal from the program.
- Submit only the documents requested.
- Do not staple any part of the application or supplemental documents.
- The application and essay must be typed. Hand-written applications will be disqualified.
Incomplete application will be considered technically ineligible. Please carefully read the application checklist and application form, and submit the supplemental documents as requested. Do not submit any original document. Application package will not be returned.
Preference will be given to candidates who have not had extensive recent experience in the United States. Extensive U.S. experience could include:
- Individuals with recent U.S. experience (more than 6 months within the last 5 years); and
- Individuals who have attended a graduate school in the U.S. for one academic year or more during the last seven years.
Individuals with U.S permanent resident status are ineligible.
All U.S. Government scholarship programs adhere to equal opportunity principle. Any individual who fulfills the program criteria are welcome to apply regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, disability, race, age, and/or political or religious beliefs.
The Embassy will announce application results in April 2019 and notify all applicants via email.
Complete application package must be submitted to the Public Affairs Section by 12:00 p.m. (noon) on Monday, March 25, 2019 at the latest.
Street Address: Mailing Address:
U.S. Embassy АНУ-ын Элчин сайдын яамны
Public Affairs Section Олон нийттэй харилцах алба
Denver Street #3, 11th Micro-district Монгол Улс, Улаанбаатар 14192
Ulaanbaatar 14190, Mongolia Ш/Х – 341
Please note, mailed applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Any inquiries about the program will not be answered via phone. Please direct all inquiries to the Embassy’s Facebook page, or email at email@example.com.