November 17, 2020
Public Affairs Section
U.S. Embassy Mongolia
Call for Applications: PAS-Ulaanbaatar-004/FY2021
Community Engagement Exchange (CEE) is a year-long program designed to enable civil society leaders, ages 20-27, to harness the power of networks, relationships, and information for the public good, specifically on issues related to civic dialogue and peacebuilding, open and participatory government, women and gender, resilience and sustainable development, and youth engagement in over 100 countries. CEE is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State with funding provided by the U.S. Government and supported in its implementation by IREX.
For more information: https://www.irex.org/project/community-engagement-exchange
Applications for the 2021 Community Engagement Exchange Program will be accepted between Monday, November 16 and Friday, December 23, 2020.
Applications must be submitted online at https://cee.irex.org/ by Wednesday, December 23, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EDT (Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 12:59 p.m Ulaanbaatar time) to be eligible for the program.
Competition for the CEE Program is merit-based and open to emerging civil society and community leaders who meet the criteria below. Applications that do not meet these eligibility requirements will be disqualified and will not be reviewed by the selection committee. Please note that the U.S. Department of State and IREX reserve the right to verify all the information included in an individual’s application. If there is a discrepancy, or information is found to be false, the applicant will immediately be disqualified.
- You are between the ages of 20 and 27 as of November 1, 2020
- You are a citizen of one of the eligible countries listed below
- You are living and working in your home country at the time of application
- Individuals with refugee status working on behalf of their home community may be given special consideration
- You are working on a community engagement initiative in your home country, either in a professional or volunteer capacity, with a vision to pursue a career working to support civil society
- You have a high level of proficiency in spoken and written English at the time of application
- Semifinalists will be required to take or submit recent scores for a TOEFL or IELTS English language test
- You are available to travel to the U.S. for three months from October 2021 to January 2022
- You are committed to returning to your home country to complete a community-based project or CEE “Community Engagement Project (CEP)”
- You are not a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. and have not applied for U.S. permanent residency within the past three years
- You are eligible to receive a U.S. J-1 visa
- Applicants who have participated in an exchange program sponsored by the U.S. Government must have fulfilled their two-year home residency requirement before applying for CEE
- You are committed to returning to your home country for a minimum of two years after completing the program and
- You are not a current employee of or consultant for the U.S. Department of State or IREX or an immediate family member
Competition for the Community Engagement Exchange Program is merit-based. After the deadline, all eligible applications will be reviewed and scored by a selection committee. Applicants receiving top scores will be chosen as semifinalists and asked to complete an interview. Semifinalists will also be required to take an English language exam or submit recent TOEFL or IELTS scores. Finalists and alternates will be selected, pending their performance on their interviewers and English language exam.
For more information, email info.CEE@irex.org
Africa: Angola, Botswana, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
East Asia and the Pacific: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and Vietnam
Europe and Eurasia: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia, Herzegovina, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Turkey, and Ukraine
Middle East and North Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia, and West Bank/Palestinian Territories
South and Central Asia: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan
Western Hemisphere: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru, Trinidad and Tobago, and Uruguay