May 29, 2020
Public Affairs Section
U.S. Embassy Mongolia
Call for Applications: PAS-Ulaanbaatar-015/FY2020
The 2021-2022 Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy to Mongolia is now accepting applications for the Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program (FLTA) for the academic year of 2021-2022. The application deadline is Monday, July 20, 2020.
Funded by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the U.S. Department of State, the FLTA Program is a full scholarship program for early career English-language teachers to work as Mongolian-language teaching assistants at a U.S. university for one academic year. FLTA aims to strengthen foreign language instruction at U.S. colleges and universities while providing foreign teachers opportunities to increase their English language proficiency, refine their teaching skills, and extend their knowledge of the culture and customs of the United States.
During the program year, the participant will have the opportunity to take classes on teaching methodology and other topics, such as American studies. The participant is also expected to participate in university programs and to share Mongolian culture with their colleagues and students. The grant is for one academic year and is non-renewable.
An FLTA should be an energetic, early career educator capable of succeeding in the dual role of university teaching assistant and student. He/she must be open to living with their U.S. student peers in undergraduate or graduate level campus housing and also engaging with faculty and staff with maturity and professionalism.
Please note that dependents are not allowed to travel with scholarship recipients.
To qualify, applicants must:
- Be a Mongolian citizen, currently living in Mongolia;
- Be a university (including vocational training colleges) or high school teacher of English;
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in teaching, TESOL, Mongolian language, or English language by June 1, 2021 (MA degrees are highly desirable);
- Be fluent in English, with minimum score of TOEFL IBT 79-80, TOEFL ITP 550, or IELTS 6.0;
- Be no younger than 22 and no older than 32 at the time of application.
Interested candidates apply online at https://apply.iie.org/flta2021.
A complete application package includes:
- Completed Online Application;
- Original academic transcripts with certified English translations;
- Diploma (if already graduated);
- Three letters of reference; and
- TOEFL or IELTS score report.
Things to note when completing the application form:
- Answer all questions of the application. Put N/A for questions that do not apply.
- Note that answers to all questions must be true. The application essay must be your own work reflecting your original thought. Any use of other people’s work/idea must be properly cited and acknowledged. Any false information and plagiarism will be grounds for immediate dismissal from the program.
- Do not submit any additional documents not specified in this application.
- Incomplete application packages will be considered as technically ineligible.
Preference will be given to candidates who have not had extensive recent experience in the United States. Extensive U.S. experience includes:
- Individuals with recent U.S. experience (more than 6 months within the last 5 years)
- Individuals who have attended a graduate school in the United States for one academic year or more during the last seven years
Note that individuals with U.S permanent resident status are ineligible to apply. Also note that the FLTA program does not support dependents or family members. Pregnant candidates may not participate in the program if the birth will occur during the program period.
All U.S. Government scholarship programs adhere to equal opportunity principles. Any individual who fulfills the program criteria is welcome to apply regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, disability, race, age, and political or religious belief.
Interviews will take place in late August 2020. Applicants may be required to attend the interview in person.
Any inquiries about the program will not be answered via phone. Please direct all inquiries to email@example.com.