January 3, 2020
Public Affairs Section
U.S. Embassy Mongolia
Call for Applications: PAS-Ulaanbaatar-007/FY2020
The 2021-2022 Fulbright Student Program Funded by the U.S. Department of State
The Public Affairs Section of U.S. Embassy Ulaanbaatar is now accepting applications for the 2021-2022 Fulbright (Foreign) Student Program. The online application deadline is 8:30 a.m. on Monday, March 2, 2020. The Fulbright Student Program enables graduate students, young professionals, and artists from Mongolia to pursue graduate study degrees and conduct research in the United States. The Fulbright Program operates in more than 160 countries worldwide and approximately 8,000 grants are awarded annually.
To qualify, applicants must:
- Be a Mongolian citizen, currently living in Mongolia;
- Hold a university degree (at least B.A. or equivalent);
- Have a minimum of 1.5 years of full-time work experience; and
- Hold a valid English test score (test score requirements vary depending on the field of study, please see below).
Candidates who are applying to pursue studies in the following fields are required to have a minimum of TOEFL IBT 90, TOEFL PBT/IPT 575, or IELTS 7.00:
- Arts Administration/History
- Gender and Women’s Studies
- International Development
- International Relations
- Public Administration/Public Policy
- Political Science
- Theatre/Drama/Creative Writing
- Urban/Regional Planning
- Veterinary Medicine
Candidates pursuing studies in fields other than those named above should have a minimum of TOEFL IBT 80, TOEFL PBT/IPT 550, or IELTS 6.5.
A complete online application will include following attachments (.PDF and/or image files such as .JPEG, .PNG, etc.):
- Under the Academic Materials section, scanned copy/ies of diploma and transcript of all university degrees;
*Diploma scan must include all language versions (i.e. Mongolian Cyrillic, Mongolian Script, English, etc.).
**Transcript must be issued by the school’s office of the registrar, on an official letterhead with proper stamp and/or signature. Transcript must be in English or provide a translation into English by an authorized translation service along with the original transcript in Mongolian.
- Under the Grant & Travel Plans section, a scanned copy of the passport; and
- Under the Additional Information section:
- Under the Country-Specific Materials sub-section, a scanned copy of the social insurance book indicating employment period of 1.5 years or more (only in Mongolian, English translation not required)
- Under the Supplemental Materials sub-section, three recommendation letters from individuals who can attest to your academic and professional abilities
! Only candidates who did not request recommendations via the automated online system should upload recommendation letters directly.
!! Note that recommendations requested via the automated online system are still due on the same day and time of the application deadline.
*Recommendation letters must be in English or attach a translation into English by an authorized translation service along with the original letter in Mongolian.
- Under the Additional Documentation sub-section, a scanned copy of any TOEFL or IELTS official score report
Things to note for your application:
- Answer all questions. Put N/A for questions that do not apply.
- Answer all questions truthfully. The essay must be your own work reflecting original thought. Any use of other people’s work or ideas must be properly cited and acknowledged. False information or plagiarism will be grounds for immediate dismissal from the program.
- Submit only the documents requested.
Incomplete application will be considered technically ineligible. Please carefully read the application form, and submit the supplemental documents as requested.
Preference will be given to candidates who have not had extensive recent experience in the United States. Extensive U.S. experience could include:
- Individuals with recent U.S. experience (more than 6 months within the last 5 years); and
- Individuals who have attended a graduate school in the U.S. for one academic year or more during the last seven years.
Individuals with U.S permanent resident status are ineligible.
All U.S. Government scholarship programs adhere to equal opportunity principles. Any individual who fulfills the program criteria is welcome to apply regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, disability, race, age, and/or political or religious beliefs.
The Embassy will announce application results in April 2020 and notify all applicants via email.
Any inquiries about the program will not be answered via phone. Please direct all inquiries to the Embassy’s Facebook page, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.