March 23, 2022
Public Affairs Section
U.S. Embassy Mongolia
Call for Applications for Host Institutions: PAS-Ulaanbaatar-011/2023
The 2023 Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Program
The Public Affairs Section at the U.S. Embassy in Ulaanbaatar is now accepting applications for the Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Program in the 2023 calendar year from the English Language or Foreign Language Departments of accredited universities and vocational training centers (host institutes). The HIs application deadline is 8:00 a.m. on Monday, May 23, 2022, at the latest.
The Fulbright ETA Program is sponsored and managed by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) within the U.S. Department of State. The program aims to:
- Strengthen English language instruction, while providing cultural insights;
- Provide opportunities for personal and career development and international experience; and
- Enhance cross-cultural communication opportunities by providing a native speaker presence.
Fulbright ETAs are young, motivated, recent university graduates who are willing to serve as cultural ambassadors. Their responsibilities include:
- Co-planning and co-teaching up to 20 hours of speaking and listening classroom activities per week to intermediate, or above, English level students;
- Dedicating up to 10 hours of class preparation with the co-teacher per week;
- Conducting up to 8 hours of extra-curricular English activities, such as a conversation club;
- Acting as a resource person both at the host institution and in the community; and
- Giving presentations on topics related to the United States.
Fulbright ETAs are not experienced teachers and should not be asked to design curricula, evaluate, or grade coursework, or take over teaching a full course without the participation of a Mongolian teacher. ETAs are exchange students on a stipend, not employees of the host institution. Therefore, they are eager to learn from host institutions about teaching methodology and other aspects of professional teaching.
The Fulbright ETA Program is a joint program by the embassy and the host institute (HI) involving cost-shares from both parties. The program funds the ETA’s round-trip transportation to Mongolia, health insurance, monthly stipend, and pre-departure and in-country orientations. HIs fund the ETA’s lodging, Mongolian visa and permit related costs, and other program related costs in funds or in-kind contributions. Besides the cost-share, HIs’ responsibilities include:
- Sending up to three faculty members, including the ETA’s designated mentor and co-teacher/s, to participate in 3-5 days orientation for ETAs in Ulaanbaatar in mid-January 2023. At the orientation HI participants will attend orientation meetings, give presentations about their school, and participate in a Co-teaching English as Foreign Language Methodology Training. At the conclusion of the orientation, a mentor or co-teacher/s will take the ETA to the institution to introduce him or her to the school, faculty, and housing. Please indicate in the application (#12) if your school will be able to comply with the orientation requirements.
- To provide the ETA a teaching schedule at the start of each semester;
- To assign a staff or faculty member to supervise/mentor the ETA and assist the ETA with his or her living environment;
- To assign two full-time co-teacher to teach with and assist the ETA in the classroom and in other matters relating to the ETA’s teaching duties;
- To assign an international/foreign relations officer to assist in visa and residency related requirements:
- September 2022: Acquire a teaching/work permit (Ministry of Education and Labor Office) and visa permit (Immigration Office);
- January 2023: Register the ETA at the Immigration Office and acquire a Residency Permit;
- December 2023: Assist the ETA with terminating the Residency Permit;
Note: As ETAs are teaching assistants, they are required to enter Mongolia on an C2 visa.
- To provide the ETA with housing and a working space; and
- Upon the conclusion of each semester, to write a feedback report to the embassy with a brief description on the classes and activities conducted, an evaluation of the ETA, and suggestions for improvements.
Eligibility requirements for HIs:
- Be an accredited Mongolian university or vocational training center that currently does not offer major classes in English;
- Have students with intermediate, or above, level English abilities;
- Possess motivation and need for hosting an ETA;
The embassy will announce application results in June 2022 and notify all applicants via email. Successful universities will sign a tri-party memorandum of understanding with embassy and ETA prior the start of the program in January 2023.
Any inquiries about the program will not be answered via phone. Please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.