April 12, 2021
Public Affairs Section
U.S. Embassy Mongolia
Call for Applications: PAS-Ulaanbaatar-015/FY2021
The 2022-2023 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Ulaanbaatar is now accepting applications for the 2022-2023 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program. The Humphrey Fellowship is a Fulbright program that brings accomplished mid-career professionals with demonstrated leadership potential to the United States for a year of non-degree graduate-level study, leadership development, and substantive professional collaboration with U.S. counterparts. The online application deadline is Monday, June 7, 2021 8:30 a.m. ULAT.
Applicants can submit applications in two categories: Regular Humphrey program or Long-Term English (LTE) required program. The LTE program offers a 16-week intensive English language pre-academic program prior their Humphrey program to candidates from non-elite populations, rural areas, minority groups, and others who may be excellent candidates but have low English language test score.
The Humphrey Fellowship supports study in sustainable development, democratic institution building, education, and public health. Visit www.humphreyfellowship.org to learn about program supported fields.
To qualify, applicants must:
- Be a Mongolian citizen, currently living in Mongolia;
- Hold a university degree (at least B.A. or equivalent);
- Have a minimum of five years of full-time professional experience (prior to August 2022) in the relevant field, after completing a university degree;
- Demonstrate a commitment to public service and potential for professional advancement;
- Be interested in the policy aspects of their field of specialization;
- Have both the need to participate in the program and the potential to benefit from it; and
- Be proficient in both written and spoken English and have a valid English language test score of a minimum of TOEFL IBT 71, TOEFL ITP/PBT 525, or comparable IELTS score for the Regular program OR a minimum of TOEFL ITP/PBT 440, TOEFL IBT 42, or comparable IELTS score for LTE program.
Individuals with the following characteristics are ineligible to apply:
- Recent university graduates (even if they have significant positions);
- University teachers or academic researchers with no management responsibilities (except in the fields of Substance Abuse Education, Prevention, and Treatment and Teaching English as a Foreign Language);
- Individuals who have attended a graduate school in the United States for one academic year or more during the seven years prior to August 2022;
- Individuals with U.S. in-country experience of any kind lasting more than six months during the five years prior to August 2022;
- A candidate with recent third-country experience, especially in developed countries, may have a less compelling need for the Humphrey Program than a candidate who has never had a significant professional opportunity abroad;
- According to the policies of the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, local employees of U.S. missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State and members of their families are ineligible for grants during the period of their employment and for one year following the termination of employment;
- Individuals with dual U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent resident status may not apply to the program, since they are ineligible for a J visa.
A complete application will include:
- Completed Online Application;
- Two Letters of Recommendation;
*Recommendations must be in English or provide English translation by an authorized translation service along with the original letter in Mongolian. Recommendation letters submitted separately from the online application will not be accepted.
- Scanned copies of Diploma and Transcript of all university degrees; and
*Transcript must be issued by the school administration. Diploma appendixes will not be accepted. Transcript must be in English or provide English translation by an authorized translation service along with the original transcript in Mongolian.
**Diploma scan must include all language versions (i.e. Mongolian Cyrillic, Mongolian Script, English, etc.).
- A scanned copy of TOEFL or IELTS official score report;
All U.S. Government scholarship programs adhere to equal opportunity principles. Any individual who fulfills the program criteria is welcome to apply regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, race, age, and/or political or religious belief.
Interviews will take place in June – July 2021. The Public Affairs Section will select and nominate three to six Mongolian candidates to compete in a worldwide competition for the final selection to the 2022-2023 Humphrey Fellowship.
To apply, complete the online application by Monday, June 7, 2021 8:30 a.m. ULAT.
Note: References requested via the online application system must be completed by the application deadline as well. Applications submitted without reference letter/s will be considered technically ineligible.
Any inquiries about the program will not be answered via phone. Please direct all inquiries to email@example.com.