December 22, 2021
Public Affairs Section
U.S. Embassy Mongolia
Call for Applications: PAS-Ulaanbaatar-006/FY2022
The 2023 Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program
The Public Affairs Section of U.S. Embassy Ulaanbaatar is now accepting applications for the 2023 Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement (Fulbright TEA) Program. The application deadline is Monday, February 28, 2022, 8:00 a.m. ULAT.
The 2023 Fulbright TEA Program will bring international secondary-level teachers of English, English as a Foreign Language, math, science, foreign languages, and social studies, including special education teachers in those subjects, to the United States for a six-week program in January 2023 or September 2023. Participants will take academic seminars for professional development at a host university and observe and share their expertise with teachers and students at the host university and at local secondary schools. The timing of the program is subject to change, depending on conditions in the host communities.
The Fulbright TEA Program consists of general academic seminars focusing on new teaching methodologies, student-centered learning, content-based instruction, lesson planning, and instructional technology training for teachers. Intensive English language instruction will be offered to teachers who need additional practice. The program will also include a practicum of at least 40 hours with a U.S. partner teacher in a secondary school near the host university to actively engage participants in the U.S. classroom environment. Cultural enrichment, mentoring, and support will be provided to participants throughout the program. The program will provide participants with practical resources they can use in their teaching, as well as skills to train trainers.
To qualify, the applicants must:
- Be a Mongolian citizen, currently residing in Mongolia;
- Be a current secondary-level, full-time teachers of English, English as a Foreign Language (EFL), math, science, foreign language, or social studies, including special education teachers in those subjects, at institutions serving primarily a local (not expatriate) population*;
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent;
- Have completed at least five years of full-time teaching by the start of the program;
- Demonstrate a commitment to continue teaching after completion of the program;
- Demonstrate leadership qualities in their schools or districts; and
- Have sufficient oral and written English language skills to take part in specialized seminars and give presentations at U.S. schools. English language test scores are not mandatory at the time of application. However, if selected, the candidates will be requested to take the TOEFL IBT. The minimum target score is TOEFL IBT 45 or TOEFL ITP/PBT 450. Please note that teachers who have lower English skills (TOEFL IBT 38-44 or TOEFL ITP/PBT 425-449), but are otherwise strongly qualified, may be provided additional English language prior to the start of the program.
*Secondary-level teachers include both middle and high school teachers serving students between approximately 12 and 18 years of age. Teachers responsible for teaching additional grade levels must teach middle or high school students more than 50% of their work time in order to be eligible. The most competitive applicants will have shown evidence of leadership in their schools.
Please note that this is an upper-level university or graduate level academic program for practicing teachers. Educational administrators (such as representatives or officials of the Ministry of Education) and school administrators who do not teach at least fifty percent of their time, full-time teacher trainers, university faculty, private English Language tutors, and teachers from schools primarily serving expatriates are not eligible.
A complete online application will include following attachments (PDF):
- Institutional Support and Reference Form;
- Leave Approval Form; and
- Copies of diploma/s (include all language versions, i.e., Mongolian Cyrillic, Mongolian Script, English, etc.).
Things to note on your application:
- Answer all questions truthfully. The essay must be your own work reflecting original thought. Any use of other people’s work or ideas must be properly cited and acknowledged. False information or plagiarism will be grounds for immediate dismissal.
- Submit requested documents only.
- All documents submitted must be in English or have an official translation attached.
- Attachments in the following formats are accepted: .PDF and image files (e.g. .JPEG, .PNG, etc.)
Preference will be given to candidates with limited prior experience in the U.S. Mongolians holding U.S. green cards are not eligible to apply.
The safety and security of participating Fulbright TEA teachers and their home and host communities is our first priority. In the case the COVID-19 pandemic continues into 2022 and 2023 or there are other emergencies, we may need to make program adjustments (program rescheduling, quarantining upon arrival, briefer school visits and field experiences, hybrid or virtual components, etc.).
After returning home, teachers who have successfully completed the program will be eligible to compete for small grant awards for training for other teachers, collaborative projects between participating American schools and their home schools, and other activities that build on the exchange experience.
All U.S. Government scholarship programs adhere to equal opportunity principles. Any individual who fulfills the program criteria are welcome to apply regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, disability, race, age and/or political or religious beliefs. Fulbright TEA supports inclusion and strongly encourages teachers with disabilities to apply.
Teachers working in under-resourced, minority, or indigenous communities, or who are current English Access program teachers will be given priority. Selection criteria will also include consideration of gender, geographic, and other diversity factors.
The application deadline is Monday, February 28, 2022, 8:00 a.m. ULAT. The embassy will announce the application results in March 2022 and will notify all applicants via email.
Any inquiries about the program will not be answered via phone. Please direct all questions to email@example.com