The 2016 Mongolia-U.S. Student Envoy (MUSE) Program
The Mongolia-U.S. Student Envoy program (MUSE) is a 3.5-week exchange for high school students that will take place October 11-November 5, 2016 in the United States. The primary program themes are volunteerism/community service, participatory democracy, and youth leadership development. Participants will live with host families for the majority of the exchange and engage in leadership and civic education workshops, community service activities, visits to local schools and community organizations, project planning and development, and local cultural activities with American peers. Participants return home with action plans to bring their exchange experience to their home communities in the form of a wide range of community service projects.
Student applicants must:
- Be a citizen of and live in Mongolia (applicants with dual U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status will not be considered);
- Be in 11th or 12th grade and between 16 and 18 years old by October 11, 2016;
- Have at least one full semester of high school remaining;
- Have high proficiency in English (this program is not focused on language-learning; in order to participate fully, students must already have very strong speaking/reading/comprehension skills);
- Demonstrate good academic performance, leadership potential, an interest in and commitment to community service and volunteer activities;
- Demonstrate initiative, good communication, and an energetic, positive attitude;
- Have the ability to work cooperatively in a team and tolerate the opinions of others;
- Have permission from a parent or legal guardian to participate in the program.
Download the application form here (DOCX 36 KB) and reference template here (DOCX 20 KB). There is no application fee. The United States Government will pay for all costs for selected applicants to participate in the program, including international travel to and from the United States, orientations, visa fees, and the exchange activities in the United States, including meals and lodging.
Application Deadline: July 15, 2016 at 5 p.m.
Applications should be submitted to: email@example.com
Instructions for completing this application: Please fill out the application and answer all questions carefully and completely, in English. The information you provide on this application will provide the basis for selecting participants for this program. Semi-finalists will be contacted in August for an interview.
Questions should be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org