Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia (December 3, 2021)
Event: On November 26, the White House announced a travel restriction for certain travelers physically present within the Republic of Botswana, the Kingdom of Eswatini, the Kingdom of Lesotho, the Republic of Malawi, the Republic of Mozambique, the Republic of Namibia, the Republic of South Africa, and the Republic of Zimbabwe due to the detection of a variant of the SARS-COV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The policy does not apply to U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents and certain other categories of travelers. See the text of the announcement here. The new restrictions and requirements took effect on November 29.
As always, U.S. citizens are reminded that transportation schedules can change without notice. Please check with airlines/carriers regarding flight cancellations and/or restrictions and keep apprised of the testing and vaccine requirements for any country you are transiting. The U.S. Embassy urges U.S. citizens to have a departure plan that does not depend on U.S. government assistance. U.S. citizens are also encouraged to read our webpage on What the Department of State Can and Can’t do in a Crisis.
Please see contact information for airlines operating from Chinggis Khaan International Airport below.
MIAT Mongolian Airlines
- Website: www.miat.com
- Telephone: 976-11-333999
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.koreanair.com
- Telephone: 976-7000-2005
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.flyasiana.com
- Telephone: 976-7717-0404
- Website: www.turkishairlines.com
- Telephone: 976-7014-6161
- Email: email@example.com
Actions to Take:
- Review the CDC’s travel health notice for Mongolia.
- Review the State.Gov Travel Alert for Mongolia.
- Check with airlines and transit and destination countries for how COVID testing and vaccine requirements might impact travel.
U.S. Embassy Ulaanbaatar
- American Citizen Services Unit
- Phone: +976 7007-6001
- E-mail: UlaanbaatarACS@state.gov
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
State Department – Consular Affairs
- Phone: +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444