April 19, 2019
Public Affairs Section
U.S. Embassy Mongolia
Call for Applications: PAS-Ulaanbaatar-015/FY2019
The 2020-2021 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Ulaanbaatar is now accepting applications for the 2019-2020 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program. The Humphrey Fellowship is a Fulbright program that brings accomplished young and mid-career professionals with demonstrated leadership potential to the United States for a year of non-degree graduate-level study, leadership development, and substantive professional collaboration with U.S. counterparts. The online application deadline is Monday, June 10, 2019 8:30 a.m. ULAT.
Applicants can submit applications in two categories, for the Regular Humphrey program or the Long Term English (LTE) required program. LTE required candidates shall meet all requirements set by the program, but are allowed to have a lower English language test score. Selected LTE grantee is required to attend an academic English language training prior to the start of the academic program in the U.S.
Humphrey Fellowship supports study in sustainable development, democratic institution building, education, and public health. Visit www.humphreyfellowship.org to learn about program supported fields.
To qualify, applicants must:
- Be a Mongolian citizen, currently residing in Mongolia;
- Hold a university degree (at least B.A. or equivalent);
- Have a minimum of five years full-time professional experience (prior to August 2020) in the relevant field, after completing a university degree;
- Demonstrate a commitment to public service and potential for professional advancement;
- Be interested in the policy aspects of their field of specialization;
- Have both the need to participate in the program and the potential to benefit from it; and
- Be proficient in both written and spoken English, and have a valid English language test score of minimum of TOEFL IBT 71, TOEFL ITP/PBT 525, or comparable IELTS score.
Note: The Humphrey Program offers a Long-Term English (LTE) language training opportunity to facilitate the participation of candidates from non-elite populations, rural areas, minority groups, and others who may be excellent candidates but have low English language test score (a minimum of TOEFL ITP/PBT 440, TOEFL IBT 42, or comparable IELTS score). LTE participants take 16-week intensive English language pre-academic program prior their Humphrey program.
- Recent university graduates (even if they have significant positions);
- University teachers or academic researchers with no management responsibilities (except in the fields of Substance Abuse Education, Prevention, and Treatment and Teaching of English as a Foreign Language);
- Individuals who have attended a graduate school in the U.S. for one academic year or more during the seven years prior to August 2020;
- Individuals with U.S. in-country experience of any kind lasting more than six months during the five years prior to August 2020;
- A candidate with recent third-country experience, especially in developed countries, may have a less compelling need for the Humphrey Program than a candidate who has never had a significant professional opportunity abroad.
- According to the policies of the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, local employees of U.S. Missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State and members of their families are ineligible for grants during the period of their employment and for one year following the termination of employment.
- Individuals with dual U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent resident status may not apply to the program, since they are ineligible for a J visa.
All U.S. Government scholarship programs adhere to equal opportunity principles. Any individual who fulfills the program criteria is welcome to apply regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, race, age, and/or political or religious belief.
Interviews will take place in early July 2019. Applicants must attend the interview in person. The Public Affairs Section will select three to six Mongolian candidates for the 2020-2021 Humphrey Fellowship competition. These individuals will compete in a worldwide competition for the final selection for the Humphrey Fellowship.
To apply, complete the online application by Monday, June 10, 2019 8:30 a.m.
Any inquiries about the program will not be answered via phone. Please direct all inquiries to Embassy’s Facebook page, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.