Marriage in Mongolia

  1. Marriage in Mongolia
  2. Adoption
  3. Birth

If you are an American planning to marry a Mongolian Citizen, you may register your marriage either at the Center of Civil Registration and Information in Ulaanbaatar city or at the Governor’s office of the province you reside in.

To register a marriage with Mongolian authorities, you have to present the following documents:

Statement written in your native language about your wish to marry a Mongolian and make an official translation by translation bureau.

  • Affidavit about your current status of marriage. If divorced you have to provide a notarized copy of court decision or evidence of dissolution or termination of any previous marriages (death certificates and/or divorce decrees). To make an appointment for notary service please visit the U.S. Citizens Services Appointment System.
  • Health analysis such as Tuberculosis, Psychiatry, HIV, and STD.
  • Criminal record from the place you reside translated by Translation Bureau.
  • Evidence to prove that you have enough financial resources to live in Mongolia. Evidence may include records such as bank statements, employment letters, and real estate certificates.
  • Reference letter from local housing office/governor.
  • Reference letter from Immigration Office regarding your legal status in Mongolia.
  • Notarized copies of passports and civil IDs.
  • One copy of photos each.
  • Any documents in foreign languages must be translated by Translation Bureau into Mongolian.

It isn’t necessary to register your marriage with the U.S. Government, although for tax purposes, you may in the future wish to apply for a taxation identification number for your dependents if they do not have or cannot obtain Social Security numbers. (If they emigrate to the U.S., they will be able to apply for Social Security numbers.) For information on taxation identification numbers, you may wish to visit the Internal Revenue Service website.

To immigrate your spouse and unmarried stepchildren under the age of 21 to the United States, you as a U.S. citizen may petition to do so on their behalf. There are two parts to this procedure: you first file immigrant visa petitions on their behalves, and once those petitions are approved, they are sent to an immigrant visa processing post abroad. That post arranges for an immigrant visa interview for them and the subsequent issuance of immigrant visas.

Effective August 15, 2011, petitioners residing overseas will no longer be able to routinely file Forms I-130, Petitions for Alien Relative, with U.S. Embassies and Consulates except in locations where U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has a public counter presence within the Embassy or Consulate.  Petitioners residing overseas in countries where USCIS does not have a public counter presence will be required, starting August 15, 2011, to file their Forms I-130 by mail with the USCIS Chicago lockbox.  U.S. Embassies and Consulates that do not have a USCIS presence will only be able to accept and process Forms I-130 in exceptional circumstances.

Marriage to a foreign national doesn’t jeopardize your U.S. citizenship.

If you wish to get married in the U.S., you can file a K-1 petition to emigrate your fiancé(e) to the U.S. along with any dependent children under the age of 21. These petitions, however, can only be filed in the United States with an office of the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services. Once approved, they are forwarded to an immigrant processing post and processed similarly to spousal immigrant visas.

Because your fiancé and his/her children are intending immigrants to the U.S., they might not qualify for non-immigrant visas (such as tourist visas) to the U.S. This means that we cannot issue non-immigrant visas to someone who intends to marry and then remain in the U.S.